You’ve probably heard of live cultures and probiotics being a part of gut health. These little things are often mentioned in yogurt commercials and digestive health ads. You know they’re probably good for you, but you’re not sure what they are or what exactly they help. Try probiotics for cats for health benefits.
What is a Probiotic?
Probiotics are ingested microorganisms that help with digestive health for people and animals alike.
These microorganisms are generally safe. Also, they can help our bodies realign themselves when improper nutrition or other things throw off our system.
Also, fermentation of dairy products, like cheese and yogurt, is the process through which probiotics appear and become accessible to human consumption.
What can Probiotics Help?
We won’t go into all the details, but this form of probiotic microorganism can help the digestive system right itself after overconsumption of unhealthy food items, or reset the system after an illness or other gastro-intestinal event.
For those with chronic stomach issue like Irritable Bowel Syndrome, hence, probiotics are believed to help the digestive system regulates absorption and prevents diarrhea.
Can I Give a Human Probiotic to a Cat?
- L. ACIDOPHILUS FOR CATS: Lactobacillus acidophilus is everywhere in human and cat probiotics alike and for good reason....
- DIGESTIVE AID FOR CATS: More than anything else, we want our cats to be happy and healthy in our care. Of course we do,...
- L. SALIVARIUS FOR CATS: Through very detailed research of lactobacillus salivarius it has been showed to produce high...
If your cat is having tummy troubles, it is inadvisable to give your human intended probiotic to him.SInce cats have very different digestive systems from humans, and the probiotic designed for your system could actually cause more issues for Tom.
There are, instead, a large number of companies who produce specially designed probiotics for cats and other animals. Therefore, one of these would be the wisest choice for helping your cat regain his digestive health integrity.
What are the Best Probiotics for Cats?
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY DIGESTIVE AND IMMUNE SYSTEMS - NutraVet's Pro20 effects your Pet's digestive and immune function by...
- SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER ABSORPTION - Our liquid pet probiotic formula not only absorbs quicker, but also absorbs more...
- MORE EFFECTIVE THAN CAPSULES. With our unique liquid technology, our 20 strains of living organisms (probiotics) not...
Probiotic 1: Purina Pro Plan FortiFlora Probiotic Cat Supplement
- One (1) 30-Count Box - Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets Fortiflora Feline Nutritional Cat Supplement
- Probiotic supplement for the dietary management of kittens and adult cats with diarrhea
- FortiFlora is the #1 probiotic brand prescribed by veterinarians
The Purina Pro Plan FortiFlora Probiotic Cat Supplement receives the rave review from many owners. Those who have older pets particularly praise this probiotic for cats as the product that helped restore their elderly kitties to ruling once again over their homes. If your ailing kitty’s got some issues with loose stool, therefore, this Probiotic is gentle on the stomach and helps to ease up diarrhea symptoms.
Probiotic 2: Animal Essentials Plant Enzyme and Probiotics
An enzyme is a catalyst that promotes or provokes chemical processes. Enzymes in our food, or in this case your cat’s food, promote healthy metabolic processes.
Animal Essentials Plant Enzymes' Probiotic is highly praised by pet owners whose dogs and cats are on a raw diet. The enzymes in this combination supplement help balance out the raw diet that sometimes can be hard for animals to digest.
Also, consumers with immune-compromised pets rave about this product for their animal’s digestive health as well.
Probiotic 3: NutraMax Proviable-DC Digestive Health Supplement
- Capsules help reestablish healthy intestinal balance in dogs and cats
- Contains multiple species and billions of beneficial microorganisms per daily administration
- Capsules should be given with Proviable-KP paste for short-term use during times of intestinal imbalance
NutraMax Proviable-DC Digestive Health Supplement is a higher dose probiotic for cats than most others. Generally given only under a veterinary recommendation, this strong probiotic is helpful for elderly cats. Also, it is helpful for cats with Inflammatory Bowel Disease, or those with renal issues or failure.
This probiotic is good for both long-term and short-term probiotic treatment for your feline friends. Also, the capsules are easily pulled apart, and the medicinal filling can easily be sprinkled on food for consumption.
Probiotic 4: VetraScience Laboratories Mega Probiotic
- Vetri Mega Probiotic is a non-dairy formula produced from an all-natural source of beneficial microorganisms to support...
- Each capsule is guaranteed to contain 5 billion microorganisms per capsule with 8 different strains from non-dairy...
- Fructooligosaccharides(FOS) or prebiotics- to support digestive tract health
This non-dairy probiotic is good for pets with allergies or lactose sensitivity issues. VetraScience Mega Probiotics are not only probiotics but prebiotics as well. They help support your pet’s digestive system in other ways. Prebiotics encourage the growth of the naturally occurring microorganisms. These should already be in your cat’s digestive system.
In addition, the capsules containing VetraScience Mega Probiotics are dairy and allergen free for optimum benefit for food sensitive kitties.
Probiotic 5: NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Probiotic
- A concentrated full-spectrum, natural digestive enzyme formula that contains a source of naturally occurring "friendly"...
NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Probiotic combines the catalyst of the enzymes from plants to stir metabolic processes. Probiotic infuses your cat’s system with billions of microorganisms that help even out your cat’s digestive system. Also, it slows down issues that cause symptoms like diarrhea and upset stomach.
Customers rate this particular product as exceptionally great for pets with sensitive stomach. Also, it is good for cats needing a bit of help regulating their digestive processes.
Probiotics for cats could be the answer to your pet’s stomach, renal, and digestive issues. If your kitty is older, has diarrhea on the regular, or seems to have an upset stomach. Also, we’d recommend giving them a probiotic. Try one of the five top products we’ve listed above in this buyer’s guide.
Your cat’s digestive system should improve over time, often in the matter of a week or so, and will remain healthier for as long he is on one of the probiotics. Sometimes a probiotic is enough to reset an animal’s system. Hence, probiotic for cats will no longer be necessary for optimum health.
If, however, your cat’s system seems to return to having issues consider upgrading from a probiotic to one of the enzymes. Therefore, probiotic products or one of the probiotics meant as a long-term nutritional supplementation.