Vet bills are one of the biggest expenses of pet ownership. No pet is immune to injury or a potentially life-threatening disease. An emergency visit for a broken bone could cost as much as $1,000 before including follow-up appointments. Treating diseases like cancer costs as much as $10,000. Many pet owners worry about losing their animal because they cannot pay for their health care. This is why pet insurance is needed.
The quality of pet insurance varies depending on the company providing the service. So here are the four top providers listed in descending order of quality for pet owners to consider.
Top 4 Pet Insurance Providers
1. PetFirst Pet Insurance
This reliable company offers a lot of flexibility and provides extras that may not be available with other insurers. These extras include the right to cancel the policy at any time without an added fee, having a plan that is immediately active and knowing medical costs are covered when they come from any licensed veterinarian in the United States.
- There is no upper age limit. All cats and dogs over eight weeks of age are accepted.
- PetFirst covers alternative health treatments like acupuncture and pet massage.
- The policies do not include a lifetime benefit or incident limit.
- PetFirst does not require health exams before
- They offer family plans and healthy pet discounts.
- They have three plans available, and the largest program covers up to $20,000 per year in expenses.
- Clients also have the option of choosing routine care coverage with three policy options available for this care.
- Each client chooses the deductible and reimbursement rate that fits their budget.
- They offer the shortest wait periods for coverage in the industry.
2. Embrace Pet Insurance
Embrace is one of the highest rated pet insurance providers currently on the market. They regularly receive exceptional marks from both clients and independent third-party consumer agencies. Their plans allow for a lot of customization to meet the needs and budgets of their customers. All clients may choose their deductible, annual coverage limit and percentage of reimbursement. However, their highest annual coverage limit is $15,000.
Any healthy dog or cat under the age of 14 qualifies for their insurance plans. Even older pets and those with a diagnosed illness are eligible for an accident-only plan. They can also fit for the pet health savings account you may also know as Wellness Rewards.
- Reimbursements begin with the first dollar spent by the client. Many other companies require customers to pay a specific out-of-pocket amount before they reimburse.
- Clients do not need to upgrade their policy to add routine care coverage.
- They offer lower rates than most competitors providing equal levels of coverage.
- Embrace covers an extensive list of holistic and alternative treatments. These include chiropractic care, Reiki, and acupuncture.
- They cover breed specific health issues, behavioral therapy, and even prosthetic limbs or mobility devices.
3. AKC Pet Insurance
Another company that receives various customer approvals and ranks high with veterinarians and consumer agencies is AKC. The American Kennel Club plan covers cats as well as dogs. Also, it does not require the pet to be registered with their organization to qualify.
They offer coverage for dogs eight weeks and older and kittens ten weeks and older. Age 9 is the limit for illness coverage. A drawback is their lifetime limit of $1,500 per accident and $8,000 per illness. This could leave some owners without coverage if an illness reoccurs or an old injury causes health problems as the pet ages.
- Their maximum annual coverage limit is $16,00.
- AKC Pet Insurance offers an 80 percent reimbursement on eligible charges.
- Riders exist to include wellness and preventative coverage if desired.
- They include a unique policy specifically for pets with hip dysplasia.
- Pets newly registered with the AKC receive a free certificate for health coverage for their first 30 days in their new home.
- They offer two plans and allow some flexibility on deductibles and limits to help customers save money when needed.
4. Nationwide Pet Insurance
Nationwide was once known as VPI Pet Insurance. This was the first company to offer pet insurance in the United States. They began back in 1982 and had slowly transformed the company as the market has changed.
VPI was not a highly-rated company in the industry. But many changes have taken place since their rebranding to Nationwide in 2014. The company is actively working to provide relevant and modern coverage to their clients.
- Their two policies available make it possible for customers to choose either catastrophic or comprehensive care.
- They do not only insure cats and dogs. They have policies available to cover birds, reptiles, and many other exotic pets.
- Customers choose either a $100 or a $250 deductible.
- Pets coverage is worldwide if a licensed veterinarian provided the care.
- Enrollment eligibility has the limit of age 10 and below. But it will never be dropped regardless of age or illness when the policy is kept updated.
- The nationwide pet insurance claim form is a simple and completely accessible online document.
Wrapping It Up for Your Pet
Many pet owners wonder, is pet insurance worth it? The answer depends on the quality of the company you use and whether you ever need it. Many people feel the peace of mind makes it worth the investment. So the best choice will often depend on the potential requirements of each pet. It is not only about what deductible the owner can pay.
Understanding the risks each breed is susceptible to will help to make an informed decision. Research each company carefully as well as the risks of the breed owned before making a purchase. Also, please let us know about any experience, either positive or negative, you have had with any of the companies listed.
Images from pixabay.com.