If you love your cat even half as much as she loves you, then you know how important it is to find the healthiest and best cat food available. You also know how important it is for your furry friend to love that food and want to eat it every day.
Cat foods come in varied forms. There are dry foods and wet foods available in the market. The kind of pet food to buy for your cat will depend on your pet’s diet. Cat owners are always keen on choosing the best kind of pet food to give to their adorable friend.
We want to help you find the right food for your feline housemate. So, we’ve pulled together a buyer’s guide for the three best cat foods and three best cat treats for 2019.
How to Choose Your Cat Food
There are probably at least 100 different companies out there that sell cat food in your area. You’ve heard of a good number of them before. You know Fancy Feast, Meow Mix, Iams, and Purina, of course.
But being well-known doesn’t necessarily mean being the best. Also, your cat should eat the highest quality foods as you do and there is a lot to be considered when finding the best cat food.
Criteria to consider as you shop for the best cat food should not include name brand. Instead, that list should include:
- Named protein sources
- Zero by-products
- No preservatives
- Zero artificial ingredients
- No fillers like corn or soy
- Ethically sourced ingredients
Below are more tips of things to look at when choosing the best pet food for your furry friend:
- Meat Proteins – Remember that cats are obligate carnivores; hence, their diet is mostly meat-based protein. Make sure to assess the ingredient on the cat food. If the label simply says meat, it may not be high quality. Choose the type of animal protein that is particularly found on the food label.
- High-Quality Grains – Most cat foods have grains such as barley, corn, or wheat. Such grains offer carbohydrates. This gives cats energy.
- Arachidonic Acid and Taurine Content – These are the two ingredients that are essential for maintaining the health of your cat. If the cat food has meat content made of high quality, it is most likely to have arachidonic acid as well as taurine content. In the absence of these two ingredients, it is likely that they are devoid of animal sources of proteins.
- Vitamins and Minerals – These two substances are essential for your cat’s health. Minerals including iron, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, and sodium are required in your pet food. These are the kind of minerals that can help your cat have healthy bones, teeth, and joints.
Best Cat Food
Not every cat is persnickety with food, but for those who are, it can be especially difficult to find the best cat food that is a tasty option. Hence, that’s part of why we recommend going for the natural cat food products.
1. Orijen Dry Cat Food
Origen is known to be one of the best dry cat foods in the market. Offering both adult cat food formula and kitten food formulas are Orijen Dry Cat Food. This brand uses almost entirely fresh meat for its product, with the rest of meat being flash frozen. Flash frozen meats and vegetables are the healthiest way to eat preserved foods as the flash-freezing process seals in the nutrients without adding preservatives. The meat is locally sourced from the area in Canada where this company operates so we love the ingredient list of Orijen Dry Cat Food.
- Fresh Turkey Meat
- Chicken Meat is Fresh
- Fresh Wild-Caught Flounder
- Chicken Liver is Fresh
- Fresh Eggs
2. Blue Buffalo Wild Delights Canned Chicken and Turkey
Canned cat food is designed to be as close to a cat’s natural diet as possible is Blue Buffalo Wild Delights Canned Chicken and Turkey. It is completely grain free, which also means gluten-free, and that means your cat’s digestive system is a lot happier with this food. Trust us, it’s one of the best-wet cat food brands out there.
The first ingredients in this food include:
- Chicken Broth
- Chicken liver
3. Blackwood Grain-Free Cat Food
Blackwood Grain-Free Cat Food dry cat food is formulated to be easily digestible by your kitty companion. Everything is slow-cooked and has nothing artificial in it. This one is perfect for cats with allergies or food sensitivities.
The primary ingredients in the Blackwood Grain-Free food include:
- Chicken Meal
- Whitefish Meal
- Field Peas
- Chicken Fat
The 3 Best Cat Treats
For those non-mealtime moments, these are some of the best treats and snack foods for cats.
1. Orijen Tundra Cat Treats
Orijen Tundra Cat Treats are 100% protein. That means that they’re a natural part of your cat’s dietary needs and wants, and are actually good for them. All of the meat that makes up these nutritious delights for Fluffy is locally sourced from the area where the company resides, just like their cat food. They come in a variety of flavors, as well, which means you can easily find one that your cat will love.
2. Vital Essentials Vital Cat Treats
Vital Essentials Vital Cat Treats are about as natural a treat as cats can get without going out to a stream themselves. The Vital cat treats are literally freeze-dried minnows. What cat doesn’t love fish? These treats are easy to give to your cat and don’t make a mess like some of the crumbly, grainy treats we’re used to. While you may feel a little squeamish with them, your cat is guaranteed to gobble them down. Also, they’re all natural, and healthy. It’s a win-win for them.
3. Whiskas All Natural Temptations
Kitties love these. Some consumers have described them as the healthy version of junk food for cats. Instead of giving the equivalent of potato chips and pretzels to cats, you can give these tasty, low-calorie natural treats to your feline friends. These are also great for finicky cats that turn their noses up at other treats and food.
Final Thoughts on the Best Cat Food
There are numerous stores and sites online where you can find any of the best cat foods; cat treats, dry cat food, or canned cat food. And while you could save a little money and get the easy to grab store brand bag from a grocery store, we think you’ll agree that your cat’s health is worth spending a few extra dollars to get the healthiest option, which is the best cat food ever. Besides, the healthy, natural ingredients taste better to cats than the junk food versions, and that will only help your finicky Tom eat better.